The Dahu-Kemba languages are spoken today across much of North-West Aheku, including on Mohai, though they originated further east. There are, or have been, twenty-four Dahu-Kemba languages of which fourteen are extant.
Proto-Dahu-Kemba was spoken by the Proto-Dahu-Kemba people who lived in North-East Aheku until Omun Hemwan-186X (what we would call 1500 BC). In OH -186X the PDK people began to migrate west. They established two new colonies, one in what is now Heiko and one in modern Pekau. The dialects of the two colonies became separate Dahu and Kemba languages from around OH -1722 (i.e. 1300 BC).
The Dahu language had a strong sub-stratum influence from local languages in the Macro-Senduri family. For reasons which are not clear, Kemba had no influence from pre-existing local languages. It is therefore considered closer to PDK.
Continue reading “The Dahu-Kemba language family”
Most of these states and territories are on the north coast of the continent of Aheku and are peopled by Ikhe. Ikhe are one of the three sapient species of Tekuo.
Mohai is an island to the north of Aheku. It has an area of 162,350 square kilometres (62,683 square miles), approximately 450 miles by 150. The population stands at 13,280,000. This works out at 82 per square kilometre.
Mohai was the ancient home of the Senduri, before the Dahu arrived. The Dahu conquered much of north-west Aheku. Later, it was absorbed into the Kemba Empire. Mohai attained independence in the early modern era. At this point, Lemohai (an Eastern Dahu language) became the official language and its people became known as the Romohai.
Continue reading “Some nations and languages of Tekuo”
This blog is now some nineteen months old. During this time, content and appearance have been unusually stable by my standards and until recently there has been a regular updating.
I took time off in the Spring for a period of political activity. That has now finished and I have come back to the blog following another period of reflection on content and presentation.
My attempts to produce a set of sound changes from a proto-language have suffered setbacks, but the project has emerged stronger for them. I can now see what a couple of Lemohai’s sister languages will look like.
Continue reading “Taking stock”
This post is the counterpart to the previous wherein I outlined the changes I have made to the concept of my study area. This post states what I am doing to content posts and subject metadata to realise the changes to the scenario.
As luck would have it, not much change is required on the site. I will now list all the posts, categories and tags I need to alter. I will update this post to record when changes are made.
Continue reading “Simplifying the site”